This is an archived copy of the 2019-2020 Catalog. To access the most recent version of the catalog, please visit

Program Guidesheets

Transfer Programs

For Students Interested in Pursuing a Four-Year Degree

It is recommended that students planning to transfer follow the requirements of one of the following:

  • The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI)
  • The Associate of Arts (A.A.)
  • The Associate of Science (A.S.)
  • The Associate in Engineering Science (A.E.S.)

These degrees and the IAI are to meet general education requirements for a four-year degree. On the following pages are descriptions and requirements of the IAI and transfer degrees.

Associate in Applied Science Programs

The A.A.S. is the degree program in the career area. The A.A.S. can be completed in two years of full time study (or longer if attending on a part-time basis). About 75 percent of the course work required for the A.A.S. is directly in the particular major or field of study, or very closely related to it. The remaining 25 percent of the course work is in General Education.  Some IVCC degrees and certificates may lead to licensure and will be cross listed.

Certificate Programs

Certificates are shorter career programs. Some certificates consist of as few as three courses; others contain as many as 30 semester hours. Most certificate programs take about one year to complete (as a full-time student). Certificate programs contain many of the same courses found in the longer A.A.S. degree programs.  Some IVCC degrees and certificates may lead to licensure and will be cross listed.

Licensure Programs

For students wanting to take Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and/or Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) courses.  EMT Basic and EMR courses may lead to State Certification.  These do not lead to an IVCC Certificate or Associate in Applied Science.