Required Assessment Testing
It is the policy of the Board of Trustees of Illinois Valley Community College that: "The college requires placement testing and counseling of all students." This policy seeks to assure the successful completion of a Degree or Certificate program of 30 or more credit hours by students at this college.
- All first-time full-time students must complete assessment in reading, writing and math.
- All part-time students who enroll in on-campus or off-campus courses in composition and/or mathematics must undergo placement examinations in composition, reading, and/or mathematics prior to the first class meeting.
- Students transferring from other colleges and universities, with from 9 to 29 credit hours attempted, and who plan to enroll full-time, will be required to be tested in English, reading and mathematics, unless they meet the following criteria (as documented on an official transcript); (1) a 2.0 grade point average in at least 9 credit hours completed; and (2) a "C" or better grade point in college freshman English class and a "C" average or better in mathematics if needed within the curriculum.
- IVCC will accept ACT scores that are submitted directly from ACT or on an official High School Transcript in lieu of ACCUPLACER Placement Test scores. The following scores will be accepted for placement. Students whose subscores are lower must take the appropriate ACCUPLACER Placement Test to determine placement. ACT scores are valid for two years from the date of the testing.
- English ACT subscore of 21 or higher: or
- Reading ACT subscore of 21 or higher: Reading requirement waived
- Math ACT subscore of 22 or higher: or
- Math ACT subscore of 24 or higher: or
- Math ACT subscore of 26 or higher:
Higher level Math courses require the ACCUPLACER Math Placement Test be taken.
- Students whose ACT subscores are lower must take the appropriate ACCUPLACER placement test to determine placement. ACT scores are valid for two years from the date of testing.
- Students who do not achieve minimum scores on the ACCUPLACER placement tests will be required to take appropriate developmental reading, writing or math courses.
Appointments are required for placement testing. An individual may contact the IVCC Assessment Center at (815) 224-0542, schedule their appointment online at www.ivcc.edu/assessment, or stop in Room E215. Appointments must be scheduled 24 hours or more in advance. Students must already have an IVCC application completed and processed.Back To Top
Assessment Center Hours:
Main Campus (Oglesby)
- Monday - 8 AM - 7 PM
- Tuesday -8 AM - 7 PM
- Wednesday - 8 AM - 7PM
- Thursday - 8 AM - 7 PM
- Friday - 8 AM - 1 PM
- Tuesday - 2 PM - 7 PM
- Wednesday - 9 AM - 2:00 PM
- Thursday- 11 am-4:00 pm (Fall and Spring Semesters only)
Hours subject to change. Please call the Assessment Center at (815) 224-0542 to schedule a testing appointment.
Placement Testing Hours:
Main Campus (Oglesby)
- Tuesday and Wednesday at 10 AM
- Wednesday and Thursday at 4 PM
- Tuesday at 4:30 PM
- Wednesday at 9:30 AM
- Thursday at 1:00 PM (Fall and Spring Semesters only)
The Assessment Center provides a variety of options and services for the college community. The center is responsible for the following services:
- IVCC computerized placement tests for English, math, reading, and computer skills*
- Make-up tests for IVCC students
- IVCC Proficiency tests
- Online and telecourse tests
- CLEP Tests
- Exams for other universities proctored
- GED Testing
- Contractor Safety Training (Site Specific)
- Pearson Vue testing
- Accuplacer placement testing for other institutions
Placement Retest Procedure
IVCC placement test scores and ACT scores will be valid for a period of 2 years from the initial testing date. Individuals who have taken an IVCC placement test will be allowed to retest in any or all of the three testing areas, English, Mathematics or Reading, twice in a 12 month period.
There will be no charge for placement testing the first time. Individuals choosing to retest will be charged the following fees: Reading $10, Math $10, and English $15.
After retesting, the score that will be valid, will be the higher of the scores.
Placement results from IVCC or any other college are not valid after a 2 year period, unless you have successfully completed coursework in the particular subject.
Any individual wanting to take a retest must contact the IVCC Assessment Center at (815) 224-0542, schedule their appointment online at www.ivcc.edu/assessment, or stop in Room E215 to schedule an appointment to retest. Payment must be made before taking a retest.
Retest questions not covered by this procedure should first be directed to the Assessment Center Coordinator at (815) 224-0552. Issues, which cannot be resolved through the Assessment Center Coordinator, will be referred to Dean of the English, Mathematics and Education division, whose decision will be final.Back To Top
Students often need help preparing for math in college. Proper placement is very important for future success. MyMath test is an online program that is easy to use and gives individuals customized math review. MyMath test consists of two branches of study:
ACCUPLACER review: This program offers review for individuals before completing the math placement test. Cost for this branch of the program is $10.00
Step Up To Math: This program is intended for individuals who have completed the math placement test twice and are not satisfied with the required course placement. Individuals will complete a pretest, be given a customized review based on need and have 16 weeks of access to improve math skills. Successful completion of the program will move math placement up one level. Cost for this branch of the program is $25.00.
Deadlines to register Step Up To Math are:
- Summer – Register no later than April 25 – test by May 25
- Fall – Register no later than July 5 – test by August 5
- Spring – Register no later than December 7 – test by January 7
For more information regarding MyMath Test please contact the Math Learning Center at (815) 224-0506.