College and Career StartBack To Top
College and Career Start
College and Career Start is an opportunity for students to earn college credit while enrolled as a junior or senior in high school. Qualified students, with permission from their high school principal or designee, are eligible to enroll in IVCC courses offered on-site at their local high schools, Area Career Center, and IVCC campuses during the day. IVCC courses can also be taken in the evenings and online.Back To Top
What is Dual Credit?
Dual credit is an instructional arrangement where an academically qualified high school student enrolls in a college-level course and, upon successful course completion, concurrently earns both college credit and high school credit. Dual Credit is governed by ICCB Administrative Rules (section 1501.507-11) and the Dual Credit Quality Act.Back To Top
What is Dual Enrollment?
An academically qualified student who is still enrolled in high school also enrolls in a college level course at the community college. Upon successful course completion the student exclusively earns college credit. No high school credits are earned.Back To Top
What is Career and Technical (CTE) Dual Credit?
These courses are offered at area high schools or at the Area Career Center through agreements with SRAVTE – Starved Rock Associates for Vocational & Technical Education . The courses are at no cost to the students, and upon successful completion can be applied to a certificate or an Associate in Applied Science Degree.Back To Top
High school students receive IVCC courses at dramatically reduced costs:
- IVCC courses taught by a credentialed high school teacher at the high school = $30 tuition cost per course plus course fees, registration fee, and potential textbook costs
- IVCC courses taught by IVCC instructors at the high school , main campus, Ottawa Center or online = 25% discount off tuition plus course fees, registration fee, and textbook costs
- Tuition waivers for students receiving free or reduced lunch. Student pays only the $5 registration fee, course fees and textbook costs
- Specially designated Career & Technical Education (CTE) courses taught at the Area Career Center and some high schools = free, no cost to the student
Enrollment Requirements for Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment
- Student must be a junior or senior at least 16 years old.
- Student must meet the high school’s requirements to register for dual credit/dual enrollment courses.
- Student must meet IVCC’s placement requirements.
- Student must complete the appropriate Dual Credit/Dual Enrollment registration form.
Taking IVCC Classes while in High School
Any student that is 16 years of age is able to take IVCC classes at our main campus, Ottawa Center, or online. Classes are held during the day or evenings. Summer is a great way to earn a few credits to help lighten the load in college and has a variety of start dates. IVCC Counselors can assist with course selection, and registration occurs through the Dual Credit Office. For anyone under the age of 16 who wishes to enroll at IVCC, please email Susan Monroe at Susan_Monroe@ivcc.edu.
Please visit the Dual Credit web page at https://www.ivcc.edu/dualcredit for additional information.
For questions on the College and Career Start program, contact Susan Monroe by phone at (815) 224-0598 or by email at Susan_Monroe@ivcc.edu