Pre-Athletic Training

Students interested in Athletic Training should pursue a health related Bachelor’s degree like Kinesiology, Exercise Science or Physical Education. To become an Athletic Trainer, you need a minimum of a Master’s in Athletic Training (MAT) degree.

To be eligible to sit for the BOC Exam and become an Athletic Trainer, one must complete a program of study at a CAATE-approved college or university. It is recommended that students work closely with a counselor to take general education and major courses to be prepared for transfer. For more information about accreditation, and to search for other Master's, Doctoral, and Residency- level institutions, please visit It is highly suggested that you begin your search for an athletic training education program at, as several of these programs' accreditation statuses may change, and the most up-to-date information can be found there.

Recommended coursework, which varies depending on transfer institution: ALH 1000, 1001; BIO 1001 or 1003; BIO 1007 & 1008; CHM 1006; PHY 2003